SALDORO & the 'LANDGARNELE'
The company, the LANDGARNELE, is based in the northern part of the German state of Hesse and specialises in the environmentally-friendly and sustainable production of king prawns. Contrary to frozen import goods, the LANDGARNELE’s prawns are sold freshly caught and are absolutely free from residues, since they are raised without chemicals and antibiotics. Those who are craving freshly caught crustaceans do not have to wait until their next trip to the ocean, or even resort to frozen varieties from overseas.
Alex and Marco from @flavouredwithlove have whipped up a truly delicious BBQ recipe for SALDORO & die LANDGARNELE featuring SALDORO chilli salt and – of course – a few delicious country prawns. Are you curious?
The LANDGARNELE - never frozen
Tropical seawater prawns from our corner of the world? The king prawns from the company die LANDGARNELE are from a family-run farm located in in the northern part of the German state of Hesse.
To ensure that he could continue operating his parent’s farm in a future-oriented manner, Sven Damm and his wife endeavoured an entirely new and unusual project: the construction of a large hall with nine rearing tanks for king prawns.
The prawns grow in a closed salt water recirculation system. An integrated approach to biological water treatment (biofloc system) ensures that virtually no water exchange occurs. In addition to their natural food source, the prawns also receive what are referred to as organic flakes. These are created by special bacteria that are formed by adding oxygen to the rearing tank’s discharged water. Following this treatment, the water is then returned to the rearing tanks.
The animal’s stocking density is deliberately limited. That’s why new stock is regularly added to the tanks filled with murky salt water, which represents the ideal environment for the crustaceans.
You can order the desired amount of prawns by visiting the LANDGARNELE’s online-shop and have them shipped comfortably to your home. In addition to having them shipped on selected dates, you also have the option of picking up the prawns on certain days at the farm’s shop, which is located near Niedenstein. If you are nearby, then it is definitely worth visiting. 🦐
Prawns from the LANDGARNELE are always sold absolutely fresh – never frozen – and are always freshly caught in northern Hesse!
Bruschetta with chilli prawns
Savoury prawns with a spicy touch of chilli refine this Italian classic and create a delectable summery dish.
Ingredients for 12 bruschettas:
- 1 baguette or ciabatta bread
- 12 prawns
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 handful of basil, gently torn
- 1 tsp Provençal herbs
- SALDORO pink ancient salt
- SALDORO chilli salt
- Olive oil
- Finely dice the tomatoes and put them in a bowl. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil, garlic, Provençal herbs and basil and mix everything well. Season with pepper and SALDORO pink ancient salt.
- Cut the white bread into slices and drizzle olive oil on both sides. Use direct heat to grill the slices of white bread- either on the grill or in the oven – until crispy.
- Remove head and shell from the prawns. Then use a knife to carefully score the back and devein them.
- Heat up 2-3 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and sauté the prawns on both sides until they are golden brown.
- Put the marinated tomatoes on the toasted slices of white bread, garnish each one with a prawn and sprinkle with SALDORO chilli salt and freshly-ground pepper.
Bruschetta, Surf & Turf or prawn skewers with aioli – what is your favourite prawn recipe? 🦐